Chinese New Year is in just a few days and this is the year of the Horse! I like to celebrate with my family by making our favorite Chinese (or American-ized versions) dishes. These Teriyaki Chicken Egg Rolls are really simple, but really delicious! They use just a few ingredients, and are a great way to sneak in vegetables you may not normally serve (cabbage anyone?). You could also add in mushrooms and or shredded zucchini. Both would be great in these!
Teriyaki Chicken Egg Rolls
See below for the full recipe.
The basics to making them are simple. Make the filling by sauteing your vegetables until crisp tender, then add the marinated chicken.
Fill and roll your egg rolls and then fry to a golden brown. They are simple and delicious. I love to serve them with steamed rice and grilled pineapple.
- 1 large Boneless skinless Chicken Breast cut into small cubes (you can also use 4-5 chicken tenderloins or 3-4 chicken thighs)
- 3/4 cup shredded Carrots
- 3/4 cup shredded Cabbage
- 1/2 cup (divided) Lee Kum Kee Chicken Marinade (or your favorite Teriyaki sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon Corn Starch
- 9 - 10 Egg Roll Wraps (found in the produce section)
- Peanut or Vegetable Oil for frying
- Marinate the chicken in 1/4 cup of the Chicken Marinade for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In a saute pan add 1 teaspoon peanut or vegetable oil and saute the carrots and cabbage for 3-5 minutes (until crisp tender). Transition the carrots and cabbage to one side of the pan and add in the chicken pieces. Cook through (takes about 3-4 minutes). Mix the carrots, cabbage and chicken together. Dissolve 1 Tablespoon Corn Starch in the remaining 1/4 cup Chicken Marinade and add to the chicken mixture. Mix well and allow to cook for 2 minutes so the sauce can thicken. Remove from heat.
- Place an egg roll wrap on a plate and dab your finger in water and wet two edges of the wrap. Spoon 3 Tablespoons of the mixture into the wrap. Start at the bottom corner and fold over the mixture, then fold in the two sides and roll up to finish. Make sure you pinch any openings to seal the egg roll.
- Heat oil in a medium sauce pan to 350 degrees. Slowly add 2-3 egg rolls and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden grown. Drain on a plate covered with a paper towel.
- Serve with steamed rice.