February 24th is National Tortilla Chip Day! Ole! Why is it so easy for me to get behind the celebration of national food holidays? This one is especially easy. I’m passionate about food and I happen to LOVE Mexican cuisine. I base my opinion of Mexican food restaurants solely on their chips, salsa and guacamole. I could eat it everyday. So, I felt compelled to develop what to me are the perfect pico de gallo and guacamole recipes. I like a lot of lime, so if you don’t – just hold back a little on what I suggest.
Homemade Pico De Gallo Recipe:
*I forgot to picture the garlic clove and cayenne pepper – I was a little too excited to do the tasting! 🙂pe Card
- 5 Roma Tomatoes
- 1/2 Lime juice
- 1/2 Medium Yellow Onion
- 1 1/2" Jalapeno
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 1/8 tsp. Pepper
- 1/8 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Finely dice tomatoes and onion. Mince garlic and jalapeno. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate at least one hour - but optimally, 24 hours.
- The cayenne is optional for those who want a bit more kick! (like me)
Homemade Guacamole Recipe:
*My avocados were a bit small, so I should have used 3 instead of just 2.
- 2 Large Ripe Avocados
- 1/3 cup of your favorite salsa (or the homemade Pico De Gallo)
- 1/2 Lime juice
- 1/4 tsp Garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut each avocado in half and remove the pit. Scoop out contents and slightly mash with a fork in a mixing bowl (you want it slightly chunky). Add in salsa or Pico De Gallo, lime juice, garlic powder and salt and pepper (I do about 1/8 tsp of pepper and 1/4 tsp of salt). Combine well with fork.
- Serve immediately.