This recipe for homemade Almond Joy is super simple and they turn out amazing! Almond Joy happens to be one of my favorite candy bars and so to have a homemade version is a little bit dangerous because I want to eat the entire recipe! It’s got some versatility so you can add more of the things you love (like I did). I adapted the recipe from this one I used for my Big Hero 6 party and they are divine!
For some reason when it is spring I want anything with coconut in it. I have visions of dyed shredded coconut mimicking the grass in Easter desserts. These add three of my favorite things: almonds, chocolate and coconut. There’s not too far you can go wrong with that!
Follow the recipe below and scoop 1-2 tablespoons at a time onto a Parchment Paper lined baking sheet. You can form them into whatever shape you want, but I “tried” to get them into the shape of an oval. If you’re really particular about it, you could pack them into a small cookie cutter. Allow to chill in the freezer for 45 minutes. You want them really firm and cold when you dip them.
(side note: I add sliced almonds to the recipe because I like almond in every bite. If you want to be more authentic, you can omit them from the recipe and place a whole almond on top of each mound before you chill them)
Melt 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 20 seconds until fully melted. Dip the bottom of each coconut mound and return to the baking sheet. Chill in the freezer for an additional 30 minutes.
Melt an additional 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and dip the top half of the coconut mounds to cover the entire surface. Return to baking sheet and chill until you are ready to serve.
- 2 Tbsp Salted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 1 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut (sweetened)
- 1/4 cup sliced Almonds
- 1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips - divided
- In a dry pan on medium heat, toast the almonds until they just start to get a nice tan color. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool while you proceed.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk and vanilla and a pinch of salt (to counter all the sweetness). Add the confectioners sugar in three batches stirring until smooth each time. Add in the coconut and almonds and mix well to combine.
- Scoop onto a parchment lined baking sheet and chill in the freezer for 45 minutes. Dip the bottom half of each mound in 1/2 cup of the melted chocolate chips. Chill an additional 20 - 30 minutes. Dip the top half of each mound in the other 1/2 cup of melted chocolate chips and chill until ready to serve.