I got this amazing chicken salad recipe from a dear friend. The cranberries and almonds give it a fun twist on a traditional chicken salad recipe. I love the tangy cream cheese paired with the sweet craisins. Serve it on a fresh croissant (my favorite), some sandwich bread or a great cracker! Because I am allergic to celery, I have always had to make chicken salad at home since most of the store bought or restaurant versions contain it. I know, who in the world is allergic to celery?! Me, that’s who. But, lucky for you, that means I have experimented with lots of versions of the classic chicken salad recipe. In my opinion, this is the best chicken salad recipe and I don’t think you’ll miss the celery one bit!
My friend had approximate measurements in her recipe, so I am giving you my exact measurements so there isn’t any question. But, know that this recipe has flexibility and if you like one flavor more than another, just add more! Chicken Salad sandwiches are great served at showers, parties and holiday celebrations! In fact, I just served it for my daughters 1st birthday party last week and it was a hit! Give it a try and let me know how you like it! You can make it a day ahead which will save you time on the day of the party. Plus, if you have a store like Costco or Sam’s Club that sells both the rotisserie chicken and the croissants, you know that this is an economical way to serve a main dish for 12 people! If you have a stand mixer, like this one, you can easily (and quickly) shred the chicken in it!
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken shredded
- 2 Green Onions chopped
- 1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
- 2.5 oz. Sliced Almonds (toasted if you desire)
- 5 oz. Cream Cheese (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup Mayonaise
- 3/4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Celery Seed
- 1 tsp Salt
- Pepper to taste
- Allow the chicken to cool. Pull off the bone and shred. Add to a large mixing bowl. Dice the green onions and add to mixing bowl. Add the dried cranberries and almonds.
- In a separate bowl combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise, Miracle Whip, Dijon Mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. Mix with a handheld mixer until the dressing is smooth.
- Pour dressing over the chicken and toss to coat evenly. Chill for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours. Spoon into 12 fresh croissants and serve.
- Buying a rotisserie chicken saves a lot of time and since you can prepare this in advance it makes this an easy entertaining dish!