I was going to write this awesome post about great ideas for you to keep your kids actively engaged during General Conference next weekend. Then, as I was doing a little web searching I found that this lady has already done a bang up job of it. So, I recommend going to her for ideas. She really has compiled a great list activities, games, treats, crafts – you name it. So really – go to her website, it is incredible! But not before you finish reading my post. 🙂
General Conference is kind of like the Superbowl for Mormons. We plan watching parties (reverent ones) and cook the best tv watching snacks and treats! My husband and I are kind of in a unique spot, we only have one child and so far she has napped through General Conference so we haven’t missed a beat. But, she is almost two now and I have the feeling it is going to be a different viewing experience from now on. Here are a few ideas I’ve heard other families do to give you at least some chance of hearing a talk or two.
– Prepare, prepare, prepare. Go to the website listed and really gather as many activities and coloring pages as you think you’ll need for your kids. And then, if those don’t work – bribe them with candy and ice cream.
– Help your kids understand what General Conference is and why it is important. Start talking about it a few weeks in advance and plan a family home evening about it so they are familiar with it and what the expectations are.
– Switch off who gets to “pay attention”. If you get the morning session, you get to stay in your room and watch the entire session while your spouse gets to tackle the children. Then you switch for the next session.
– Be super active before and after the sessions so they will be more likely to sit still during the session.
– Make it special by including a tradition of what you have for breakfast, lunch and dinner each time it is General Conference – that way it is something they look forward to. One mom let’s their kids pick out their favorite treat cereal (that the kids don’t normally get) and they get to enjoy it on General Conference weekend. Another always fixes a big breakfast of pancakes, bacon, eggs and orange juice and they let their kids stay in their pajamas to watch the first session. Plan something fun during the Priesthood session that the kids will look forward to.
– Make the environment comfy. Read them the story of King Benjamin in Mosiah and allow your kids to do as they did in Mosiah 2:6, “And they pitched their tents round about the temple, every man having his tent thereof towards the temple, that thereby they might remain in their tents and hear the words which King Benjamin should speak unto them.” Blow up an air mattress or let your kids build a fort to watch it in. Get out lots of blankets and pillows and make sure everyone has a comfy spot that they will be more likely to stay in for a few minutes.
– Saturday happens. You might have to go to your childs sporting event or work on something around the house/yard. Turn on the radio! Do what you can to clear your schedule, but there may be circumstances you can’t control – so do your best! 🙂
General Conference is something I look forward to for a full six months (as soon as the last one is over). It is my absolute favorite. Prepare and plan ahead a little so you can enjoy watching it with your family next weekend!